Do you like pasta? Or pizza or hamburger? What about blood sausage? Do you know how far your food is grown? Do you know how this food was produced? These are only some of the questions that we hoped to raise during nature week in Laagri School. Nature week is our tradition and there is diferent subject every year. Food is something that can be related to every subject and every pupil in school.
Here are some actions done during our nature week:
* Food art – tens or even hundreds of food pictures were drawn. Of course discussion about them was essential.
* Games, games, games… Many teachers found a way to talk about food with games. There was also „Food planet“ game with hidden riddles for all pupils. Another bigger game was about fair trade. We managed to borrow this from Estonian Environmental Board and was a great help to find answers where do bananas, cocoa, coffee and cotton come from.
* Food films with discussions. Some classes were shown different movies about food and how does it get to their plates. „Banana split“ was everybodies favourite.
* Traditional exhibition of what can be found from our gardens. There was colourful selection of pumpkins, big mushrooms, weird looking potatoes and so much more.
* Ghanian cusine. Some lucky classes prepared Ghanian drinks and of course tasted their masterpieces. „Too much chilli…“ they thouht.
* Also many groupworks, discussions and even math exercises about food took place in diferent lessons.
I think we can be sure that every pupil learned something new or had a new experience. And there is over 700 of them. Thanks to all of the teachers who saw this as a oppourtunity and brought some food related ideas in their classrooms. And thanks to Mondo for materials to make it happen.