We are students from Rwamwanja BTVET Centre, Uganda. Our school is located in western Uganda and we are about 250 students both male and female ,Refugees and host communities. We are studying hands on skills in different courses such as AVET (Agriculture Vocational Education Training), Hairdressing, Tailoring, Mechanics, Blacksmith and Sandal making plus Computer skills. Our school is within Rwamwanja refugee camp where climate change has become a big challenge to us and natives at large. The weather condition in this place has totally changed in this case, we have been receiving rainfall in early February but now we are receiving little in late March. This is a very big problem because the biggest percentage of Us rely on Agricultural activities. Now it is high time as young students to focus on climate change and its effects, so that we learn about climate in and what we can do to help mitigate its negative effects.
We are happy and excited to participate in this project because climate change affects our daily life regardless of everyone’s status of living. We shall do whatever is possible to collect different stories on climate change and how it affects the people in the community, and there we shall come up with ideas on how we can control these negative effects of climate change.
Together with the community we can make the world a better place for mankind by creating a very strong awareness of our environment and controlling the activities that lead to negative climate change in the world.
Below are some of the negative effects of climate change that are affecting us as a community and individuals.
- Last year 2020, there was a shortage of rain and as a result, farmers’ crops were severely depleted, so food was very expensive,
- Farmers even now do not know the best time to plant crops, because the summer has changed its course,
- Cutting down trees for firewood reduces rainfall,
- Climate change leads to poor infrastructure development Such as roads, houses and hospitals, especially during rainy season,
- Climate have led to famine outbreak especially in mountainous area which have led to death of many peoples and animals leading to low population.
Students Discussing their Climate and Us Topics as a group after the first session of the project (Group Two)